What is the best way across each province?
A few online resources to help with the scout:
Chatter form our forum:
- The Great Trail (or Trans Canada Trail) is a good starter resource, but relies too heavily on asphalt and trails that are not conducive to cycling
- Gravel Travel opens up some unique options but there is concern over too many long stretches without restock
- West to east is the preferred direction of travel due to predominant winds
- If we look at the route as also being a possible race, does it make sense to start on Vancouver Island or the mainland? Where is the ideal Grand Depart?
- What if we head south down the island using Vik's route: https://vikapproved.wordpress.com/2015/06/27/vancouver-island-bikepacking-route/. Riders would fly from Vancouver to Port Hardy (5 flights / day). From there, take a water shuttle to Cape Scott: http://www.northcoasttrailshuttle.com/. Heading south down the island to the Nanaimo or Victoria to the ferry crossing > Tsawwassen, aligning riders with the BC Epic 1000 route, the best route into Alberta.
- How do we get from Tsawwassen to the BC Epic? And do we swing north to Merritt or join Lennard's segment further along?